Bacterial plaque is a sticky, almost invisible film which forms on teeth. Plaque is a growing colony of living bacteria. It also contains food debris, saliva and a little bit of all of the chemicals which pass through the mouth. The bacteria of plaque produce toxins or poisons which inflame the gums. This inflammation is the start of periodontal disease. If plaque is not removed daily and properly, it becomes calculus or tartar. This is a hard crust with a rough surface which can only be removed by a dental professional. No toothbrush, dental floss or other home dental device can ever remove calculus or tartar!! If not removed timely, periodontal disease is certain to follow.